|NYE582 on Queen Mary's 1935 Daimler 4095cc Limousine (Front)
This Daimler Limousine was one of two cars presented to Queen Mary and King George V in 1935, to commemorate King George V’s Silver Jubilee.
The car was used by Queen Mary from 1935 to 1953.
It was originally fitted with a 6.5 litre V12 engine, but this replaced by a smaller 4.0 litre 6 cylinder engine at the outbreak of World War II to save petrol during the war years.
After leaving Royal Service, it was taken to Long Beach, California where it was displayed on the, aptly named, ‘Queen Mary’ liner.
Exposure to the sun and salty air took its toll on the fabric of the car. In 1983, when the car was returned to the UK, it was in a sorry state.
The car was purchased by Coventry Motor Museum in 1984, and was restored to its present condition with the help of local companies.